chic chick things
When I was a wee child, I'd hear my dad talk about dinners he was invited to (for work) and I'd be amazed that one could go in and eat all this great food for free. We lived in Nigeria and going to restaurants usually involved quite a bit of money - given the lack of casual dining - which also meant we ate at home nearly every night - and when we did go over to someone's house for dinner - it was all home cooked food - which equaled my mum's cooking.
I loved eating out - I still do. I have changed my views on home cooked food though - given where I am and how easy it is to get a good meal for under $5.
One of the demands of my new job is to build a relationship with the media - taking them out to lunch, dinner, coffee...the thrill being, its not my money being spent.
Now, I find myself discovering new 'chic' restaurants and watering holes - filled with yuppies, each one in a suit more expensive than the next - the women carrying luxury brand handbags - subtle in the way the monetary value of the clothes, shoes, jewels ooze out of their very being.
I feel lost in such a crowd. I can't relate to the colleague who described her aim in life as becoming a professional 'tai-tai'. I don't want to worry about my shoes (they have to be Jimmy Choo's darling) when my nice boots go with everything. I don't care about 'desperately needing a pedicure' coz I never wear open toed heels - and then hearing a shocked sharp intake of breath in response to that.
Never have I claimed to be involved in such a crowd or bothered by the fact that I don't wear diamonds or have a manicure. I don't spend hundreds of dollars on make-up that will make it look like I'm not wearing any. Before this, I would never have known that a dash of gold dust gently brushed under your eyes makes them look brighter (mind you darling, you really should do go for a facial or something - your skin would look perfect - she says about my pimple free skin) or that to lose about 5kg to fit into that lovely dress for dinner on friday, all one must do is drink tea - all day.
Then on thursday I went out for drinks at loof with the editor and senior journalist of a business magazine - and my faith in humankind was restored.
grin. happy hour has never been so much fun.
<< Home