Fisherman's Village
I've been told by many about Fisherman's Village - a lovely place by the water with excellent food and romantic candlelight, a truly cozy place where you can smell the sea and hear the waves, tranquility personified if you will.
So we went there yesterday, a good 40 min drive from work - and here are some of the things I was not expecting:
1. loud, LOUD cantopop, with each establishment playing a different song, all within hearing range. When there was a good song playing (best of the early 90's cd - on repeat) one was hard pressed to enjoy it - the song hidden between layers of the latest dance remix of said cantopop.
2. usual hawker fare, if I wanted char kway teow or mee goreng, I'd be at newton. When I asked if there was western food, I was told that they had one menu listing the western food available, but they seem to have lost it.
3. bright spotlights ruining the ambiance, some tables had candle light, but were surrounded by mozzies, which left us no choice but to sit under the agonizing tube-lights - while the solitary candle on our table struggled to maintain a romantic hue.
4. sharing my dinner with a roach, who decided while casually strolling across our table, to explore what was on the other side of the white wall, pulling himself up to peek into my plate. I must have startled him by creating an earthquake - scrambling to get away from my plate - and he took the opportunity to shuffle over to her plate to taste the fish. No, I'm not talking about a small, baby roach, my encounter was with a radioactively enhanced (think Hulk) roach. urgh.
5. satay that tasted uncooked and like it was marinated in watered down dressing, especially since it is one of those things I'm convinced can't go wrong.
6. her getting scratched by a stray cat - that ran across our feet while we were eating, and having it swell up like a balloon.
Maybe its just me.
<< Home