Thursday, June 15, 2006

branded crowds

Five days a week I get on a train between 8:30 and 8:45 in the morning. Its pretty convenient getting to work - 15min ride and no traffic since its underground.

The human traffic on the other hand makes me shake my head in wonder - at their selfish attitudes, terrible manners and even worse, courtesy.

We ALL need to get to work. Seriously. Would it kill you to move to the center of the train so the rest of us hopeless people can get on too?

Nevermind all that, the rush to make it to the escalator and the shoving, bumping, hitting, smacking *groan* ok its not that extreme, sure feels like it is.

Another thing I don't get, how the hell do them mad women get any work done when they're constantly worrying about the intricate ties that keep their shirt/skirt/pointy slipper/strappy sandal in place?

I look around and enjoy the fact that apart from the suit I need to wear a couple times a month, I'm quite comfortably attired in black chord pants and a shirt. Cold? My nice jeans jacket to the rescue. Shoes? My trusty docs. Bag? If not my backpack, my sling bag so my hands a free.

Honestly, I'm amazed by the variety of things people pass off as 'office wear' - right from beach slippers under a very expensive suit to pointy toed heels with cut off burms, all accompanied by perfectly styled hair and makeup - ah yes, and the very 'branded' handbag.

sigh.