Job Interview
So I went for a job interview 2 days ago.
To say it was weird would not do it justice.
First off, calling me 10 minutes after I've emailed you my resume makes me think you desperately need people or that you have mistaken me for some brilliant person.
Then asking me "So, you're married aren't you?" sounds strange, then sounding shocked when I tell you I'm not sounds stranger, after which, asking me how old I am sounds stranger still.
hmmmm *scratching head*
Brilliant Uncle sees through apparent ruse and tells me to declare having 3 men 'dying to be with me and that you're taking your time choosing the right one.'
I am, meanwhile, highly amused by apparent ruse that I still can't see.
Brilliant Uncle then says that of the 3 men I'm apparently evaluating, one has to be from Aus, one has to be from US (apparently showing my networking skills) and one has to be a childhood friend (showing loyalty)
*scratching head harder*
So there I was having a good laugh in the car as Brilliant Uncle comes up with characters and things for said men as he drives me to the interview.
Interview btw, was with a very famous market research co.
I met the Managing Director of Very Famous Market Research Co. and she proceeded to tell me there are 2 other fellows she's really interested in hiring as they are brilliant(1) people from the same company's New York office.
Then she tells me that there are very cute men in the office, and the ones in their Sydney office are brilliant(2) and absolute darlings. *quizzical look* and I will have no problems fitting in and having fun.
She then asks me whether I have a boyfriend (in my head all I can think of is Brilliant Uncle who knew this was coming), and on my response that its personal, she proceeded to apologize for being intrusive.
Apparently intrusiveness be damned, "So do you have a boyfriend?" and I respond an affirmative (keeping in mind brilliant uncle's ruse) asking what this had to so with my skill sets and ability to do the job...
Her response? "Oh no, nothing, I was hoping we could talk like old girlfriends"
er...okay then...
A long and painful discussion about her love life followed, littered with 'casual mentions' of her brilliance(3), previous jobs, brilliant(4) wealth and networking skills (as mentioned above). Her falling in love with a brilliant(5) apartment in Balmoral Heights and having the slight problem of selling her bungalow, having a brilliant(6) new car that is "very well known in the car market as a luxury brand" and getting said car for no other reason than the dashboard looked pretty.
*groan*
Can I just say that during this she constantly reminded me that I have no experience on what this job entails and that she has two guys that are brilliant(7) and that I'm the only woman in the 'talent pool' and she wanted me to feel like I have been given a chance to show that women are as brilliant(8) as men, if not more.
Here' s my question, if I was indeed so under-qualified for the job, why call me for an interview?
She then told me that at the end of the month, those candidates who have been shortlisted would be evaluated by the Sydney office and if 'Gorgeous Mike in Sydney' tells her I'm brilliant(9) for the job, she would then like me to do a competitor analysis to (and here's the clincher) confirm, for her, 60% of my ability to take on the role.
Question: what happens to the remaining 40%?
Better still was being talked down to by asking "Do you know which matrix to use to do a competitor analysis?" "Brilliant(10)!" "Why are you doing the SWOT analysis as well?" " "Oh! You know how to show our profitable ventures as well as the environmental factors affecting our strategic plans? Thats Brilliant(11)!"
So two hours later, without asking me any of the usual questions one has come to accept as interview qns. she bade me farewell.
I'm still convinced I was on some kind of hidden camera/blooper show. I think she was getting some kind of commission/sponsorship from the Oxford English Dictionary Publishers for her repeated use of the word: 'Brilliant'. They are probably worried that Merriam-Webster has been stealing their competition.
*sigh*
<< Home