Tuesday, December 14, 2004

More things I learnt from my first hospital stay:

- Nurses have no qualms about asking the embarrassing questions in front of a room full of people: my aunt and uncle, friends and another random stranger in the bed next to mine. Maybe its just me, but I have issues discussing my bathroom habits in front 'others'. The same damn nurse quite loudly exclaims to the girl in the next bed "Aiyoh, got your menses...must make you wear pampers now" *cringe*

- Apart from the 3 main meals, we were also given 2 snacks and I was quite shamelessly getting through the day by following the feeding times (heh)

- Take a phone charger with you!

-Try not to ask older (60+) women if they are ok, feeling better or anything along those lines. Smile and feign "I speakatha no englaise". In my utter brilliance, I had to endure long DETAILED explanations about their condition and ofcourse with a couple of friendly advice. *grin* Some of them were hilarious...Never delay going to pee, if you hold it in too long, you'll get Appendicitis...Eat white food to get fairer (thrown in for good measure)...Don't drink cold water, it'll give you hemorrhoids...

- Be thankful for friends and family that call and come down to see you as soon as possible. Thank you for coming down on Friday babe, I loved seeing you and really needed a friend. sigh. But damnit...you and Pri are so not forgiven for telling me to stop re-organizing the room. =)

- Medical English leaves a lot to be desired. I was looking through the report of my CT scan and I was pissing myself laughing when I read that "The liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys [etc...] are grossly normal" Good to know I say!

- The reality of pain. The girl in the next bed had been there for nearly a week. She came in to get her appendix removed and has stayed on due to complications and pneumonia. sigh. It was so sad to see her struggling to breathe and hearing the alarm go off when her temperature went too high, and hear the oxygen tanks being brought in.

- Hospital stay can be expensive. *groan*

- Some of the nurses and attendants don't seem to realize what a great job they do. The surprise in their eyes on being thanked for bringing me my dinner and changing my sheets or replacing my drip as fast as possible since I hadn't noticed that when the drip is over, the blood flows into the IV tube was so startling...sigh.

- Having a doc that seems more interested in getting back to his expensive banquet is hardly assuring. I'm equally traumatized that he looks like an Asian version of Sven-Goran Eriksson.

- I'm glad I had to get all the tests and scans done, makes me feel better knowing how the organs are doing (they are all good and say Hi) than having something unknowingly flare up at some point.

~

Its officially the start of Christmas! yay! We have carols playing and this weekend the tree gets decorated and the Christmas cakes have been baked and as a special treat, we have Sugee cake! I've been surprising myself by humming carols and hymns all day *sigh* But! Pri will be here soon ~jumping up and down~

We went out for dinner last night and holy shite! I had the best Chilli Chicken. The kind that moves beyond making you tear and have a runny nose...this was a ear-blocking kinda chilli...yum!

I still need a job. Are PR agencies not hiring at all?! and still no word from DIMIA.