Saturday, September 25, 2004

Dear Smita,

Hiya babe! Its been so very long since I spoke to you. I miss you heaps. I do. I wish I could talk to you more. Screw that, I wish we were near enough to meet up *sigh*

How are you doing? You should have about a week or so left of annoying kids. How has the semester been? Was it all you expected? Are you enjoying it? Is it giving you joy to know you are molding the future of a person? Are you amazed at how stupid they can sometimes be? Do you sometimes feel stupified by the responsibility on your shoulders? These guys will remember you for the rest of their lives, as being the person that inspired them to achieve greater things. Are you worried there might be some who will remember you for not-so-good reasons?

I've been down with the flu the past week or so. Started off with a stomach virus (apparently from dodgy food) and that has led to bad flu. I feel bleagh. I'm sleeping a record number of hours in the day...which is a big deal seeing that I can't sleep during the day. *sigh*

I've spent the earlier part of the week helping Abby with her problem. She got into an accident last Thursday on the Freeway 5. She was on her way back to LA at about 11:30pm and as she was driving, she noticed the lane she was on was closed off and the cones on the road were directing her to merge with the traffic in the left lane. With a truck on that left lane behind her, she decided to speed up and get in front of said truck before her lane ends. Which she did with no problem. What she didn't see was that the traffic had slowed down considerably infront of her and at the speed she was at, she couldn't slow down in time and proceeded to collide with the car in front of her.

I think it hit me then how inexperienced she is. She moved here about a year or so ago and is living with her aunt and uncle. (heh from ACJC might I add) Just talking to her over this incident made me grateful for the opportunities I've had, we have had, staking it out on our own. Dealing with our shit on our own and then drinking to said shit once its been dealt with.

I hear people lamenting the loss of their youth and can't help but be glad I'm in a place where I know what I'm doing and how I got here. I can deal with people and daily situations. Have a sense of mastery over everyday challenges, personal growth and developing an insight into my life. *groan* Maybe its the age talking. But it feels good to know who I am and what I am capable of here and now than where I was 5 years ago.

So here I am feeling really good about myself and then the parents come in. Talking about how imperative it is for me to meet somebody and get married in the next couple of years. Ofcourse the meet somebody bit is where I also have issues but that's for another day.

In traditional Indian culture (read: Desi) A woman is supposed to be married and have at least one child, in that order ofcourse, by the time she is 25...ok, maybe it can be pushed to 27. For us brilliant folk who have not had the 'luxury' of living in the motherland it tends to be much harder. We're supposed to get married, have children and be either a doctor, lawyer or engineer all by the time we are 25. Lets not forget that any lapse on our part in Uni is put to shame with a story about so-and-so's daughter who finished her degree in record time coz she overloaded her schedule (followed by impressive nods from all) and therefore making her a filial daughter (cue sad looks in my parents' direction)

Where was I? Ah yes, being 26. Incidentally, the perfect age to get married. Apparently.

My dad brought up the topic of 'finding me a boy' again. He wants to hook me up with someone from a good family. Can I just ask...what makes one a good family? If everyone is from a good family, do the 'worse' families have trouble hooking up? Do you think a parent would come home to their kid and tell them that they found someone for them from a horrible family?

Most Indian parents are Amish-strict about dating. But ofcourse in a hurry to get you married off. I'm still wondering when it went from not being okay to date, to being okay for me to get married...hmmmm...point to ponder ay? Nevermind that mum then reminds me that at my age she was married and therefore I apparently have no direction in my life. Life sans ring on finger equals no life. Altho being Indian parents, If I tried taking the route of 'no life' I'm sure all the doctors we know would be over in a flash and I'd be resuscitated before I can say Om.

*groan*

Thought I'd fill you in on my past week. Hope you're doing better there. Kiss to Mon and Bluey.

*hug*
Sup